Youth Ministries Coordinator
STATUS: Part-Time, Salaried, and Non-Exempt
HOURS: 10 Hours per week
Epworth United Methodist Church seeks a creative and dynamic Youth Ministries Coordinator to develop, coordinate and administer an effective and comprehensive Christian ministry to the youth (grades 6-12) of the church, while serving as a spiritual leader and role model. The Youth Ministries Coordinator is expected to embody a Christian lifestyle committed to the missionary functions of the church through prayer, presence, gifts, service and witness.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Youth Ministries Coordinator (YMC) reports to the Senior Pastor for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Senior Pastor, in cooperation with the Staff Pastor Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the YMC’s performance. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: Staff Meetings, Church Council and Youth Council.
The Primary Task:
There shall be a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the youth program at all levels of the connectional system of the United Methodist Church. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of the youth ministry is to:
- love youth where they are;
- encourage youth in developing their relationship to God;
- provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth; and
- challenge them to respond to God’s call to serve in their communities and the world.
- Be an advocate for youth and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
- Help plan, develop, and implement all aspects of a balanced youth ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Seek direction from and guide the work of the Youth Council in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the youth ministry and directing monthly planning sessions.
- Mentor youth in developing their leadership skills.
- Recruit and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for youth (grades 6-12) and recruit teachers.
- Effectively reach youth in the community and develop a strategic youth ministry outreach plan in collaboration with Epworth UMC’s other outreach and evangelism efforts
- Transport, accompany, and chaperone youth and/or families to retreats, Pilgrimage, mission trips, and/or various planned events using church bus.
- Oversee, manage and coordinate youth activities within the church’s master program and facilities calendar, that includes but is not limited to retreats, Pilgrimage, mission trips, Conference and outreach and/or external outings.
- Work in conjunction with the Children’s Coordinator, develops and implement plans to effectively transition children into the youth program.
- Keep records of youth participation and manage the youth ministry budget.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, social media, etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuary Policy of Epworth UMC is observed in all youth ministry settings.
- A strong personal faith in Jesus Christ; Wesleyan background preferred.
- Three to five years of professional youth ministry experience is required.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field is minimum requirement.
- A Master of Divinity, or related course of study is preferred.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement a youth ministry within the parameters of the United Methodist Church.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must posses a proven ability to work effectively with youth, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Epworth UMC is a well-established congregation in Durham, NC. The physical plant dates back to the 1950s, and there are over 400 active members. We are active in the community supporting Hope Valley Elementary, DCIA, Families Moving Forward, Habitat for Humanity, Boy Scouts of America, Alcoholics Anonymous, and many other organizations.
EUMC declares itself a Reconciling Congregation seeking to welcome all persons, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, physical and mental ability, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation, into the discipleship of Christian living and proclaim our commitment to seek the reconciliation of all persons to God and to each other through Jesus Christ.
This link will download the application: http://www.epworth-umc.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Application-for-Employment-Epworth-UMC-1.pdf
Please print, complete and send applications to Reverend Karen H. Whitaker, Epworth United Methodist Church, 3002 Hope Valley Rd., Durham, NC 27707 or by email to email@example.com. No phone calls please.